Although your grief after the death of a friend or family member can make it difficult to focus on day-to-day tasks, there is no way around the fact that you must still attend to several things that need to be done. Here’s a list of what needs to be done immediately after you have settled the immediate funeral matters.

Contact Employers:

If your loved one was still under employment prior to death, ask a human resources representative at the company about any outstanding compensation due. Find out whether surviving dependents are still eligible for health or insurance benefits and whether there is a life insurance policy through the company.


Please notify the deceased person’s bank, especially for receipts and cheques deposited automatically, or if mortgage payments and other transactions (e.g. GIRO deductions) are carried out directly from the account.

Insurance Companies:

Inform the deceased person’s insurance companies. Beneficiaries may receive payouts from insurance policies, credit and trade unions or fraternal organisations, etc.

Bills & Miscellaneous Items:

Check for any outstanding debts, such as credit-card bills.  For bills where payment is made automatically via GIRO, inform the companies to cancel the GIRO.

Where appropriate, contact the deceased person’s landlord, cancel utilities such as electricity and telephone connections, and other items such as safety deposit boxes etc. Give the post office a forwarding address for the deceased person’s mail.


Obtain the deceased person’s will and inform his lawyer and/or executor.

Estate Duty:

An estate duty is payable on the value of a deceased person’s net assets above a specified threshold amount.

You can also contact:
Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore
Ruling and Estate Duty Branch
Tel: 6351 3380

Public Trustee:

The Public Trustee administers the estates of deceased persons if the value does not exceed $50,000.

The Public Trustee will:

  1. Administer the assets of the deceased (for example bank and other financial institutions deposits, undrawn salaries, CPF savings and New Singapore Shares).
  2. Sell or transfer shares held by the deceased person in Singapore-listed companies.
  3. Transfer any vehicle belonging to the deceased to the beneficiary.
  4. Ascertain the validity of claimants’ entitlement as beneficiaries and the relationship between the claimants and the deceased person.
  5. Hold the minor’s share in trust until the beneficiary reaches age of maturity and may make monthly payments for the minor’s maintenance and education.

More information can be found at:

  • Insolvency Office
  • Public Trustee’s Office
  • If the deceased is a Muslim, the Public Trustee will distribute the estate of the deceased to the beneficiaries in accordance with the Inheritance Certificate obtained from the Syariah Court by the applicant. Applications can be made online.

Central Provident Fund (CPF) Withdrawal:

When a CPF member passes away, nominated beneficiaries will receive:

  1. The deceased person’s CPF savings
  2. Other monies due to the deceased person
  3. Assets owned by the deceased.

If no nomination is made or it is found to be invalid, the Public Trustee will handle the deceased person’s CPF savings, other monies due to or assets. These savings or assets will then be distributed to the deceased person’s family members according to Intestacy Laws.

Making a Claim

CPF savings will be distributed upon the death of a CPF member. If a CPF nomination is made, it will be distributed to the nominee(s) in the proportion stated. If there is no CPF nomination, the CPF savings will be forwarded to the Public Trustee for distribution in accordance with the intestacy laws of Singapore.

If the deceased is a Singapore citizen/ Permanent Resident, you need not report the death to CPF board. CPF board will be notified by the relevant public agency and will distribute the CPF monies accordingly.

The distribution of the CPF monies include:

– Balances from Ordinary, Special, Medisave and Retirement Accounts.

– Any unused annuity premium from CPF Life.

– Remaining Retirement Account savings deposited with a participating bank or used to buy an annuity from an approved insurer.

– Discounted SingTel shares.

More information can be found here.

For enquiries, please call 1800 227 1188 (Code 5, Sub-code 2).


Coping with the death of a loved one or close friend is painful and may be difficult. You can seek the professional advice and support from your nearest Family Service Centres (FSCs). The FSCs are your neighbourhood-based focal points of family resources which everyone can turn to on any family-related matters. They are around to promote the well-being of families and individuals.

More information on Family Service Centres are available at:

  • Directory of Family Services
  • National FSC Helpline: 1800 838 0100 (toll -free line)

Please call the Helpline, which operates in English, Mandarin, Malay and Tamil to contact your nearest FSC.

You may also wish to seek professional counselling from the following voluntary welfare organizations.

Samaritans of Singapore (SOS)

Helpline: 1800 221 4444 (24-hr toll-free line)

SOS provides a 24-hour crisis line service, which gives emotional support to people who are troubled. All calls to SOS are kept in strict confidentiality.